By now you’ve certainly read about the toxic smog enveloping much of Delhi which is currently causing massive shutdowns across the city and wreaking havoc on many people’s daily lives. While this level of smog is certainly unprecedented, it really comes as no surprise to many of the people who have grown accustomed to the declining air quality levels affecting many of the metropolitan area across India.
And while there are quite a few known ways for us people to deal with the smog, there are not too many options for our pets. And considering that our four legged best friends are more susceptible to the harm caused by smog, we felt it prudent to create this guide.
As of writing this piece, there is no commercially available smog mask created specifically for our furry best friends. This has left concerned pet parents with very few options in terms of protecting their pals while outside and exposed to the harmful toxins.
Unfortunately just putting a regular unmodified dust mask over your pooch’s face doesn’t offer much protection as mask maintain a seal to function.
So we decided to get our hands a little dirty and bring out the crafting supplies to find a solution of our own. And after more than a couple prototypes, we’ve found what we consider the best way to protect your furry friend from the dangers of smog while out on walks.
Before we begin, it is important to note that the best way of ensuring your pet is completely safe from the dangers of smog is keeping them inside during what is considered peak hours for smog. Though we understand sometimes that’s not always possible, so with that said, let’s jump into it!
What You’ll Need:
- Muzzle – It’s best to find one that is a bit larger than your pup’s normal muzzle, this gives you room to make adjustments while still ensuring a proper fit.
- 5 Disposable Dust Masks – try to find some that filter out the smallest particle possible.
- Hot Glue Gun and Some Hot Glue Sticks – most hot glue sticks are non-toxic once they’ve dried but check the package just to be safe!
- Scissor- Whatever you have works perfectly!
Making Your Own Smog Mask for Your Pet:
- Begin by cutting the disposable masks lengthwise in 5 cm wide strips – Simply hold the masks as if you were going to put it on, then simply cut from each side. After cutting each of your masks into the appropriate width strips, set them aside.
- Once you have your strips, begin glueing them to the outside of the the muzzle – It’s important that you completely secure each strip of the dust mask to the muzzle with a thin strip of hot glue. Begin by gluing one piece completely to the outside of the mask. Then simply layer each additional piece of the dust mask over the previously glued section. Be careful not to leave any gaps.
- Continue to layer the dust mask strips around the muzzle until it is completely covered – Once you’ve completely covered the entire muzzle in dust mask stripes, gently blow on the open end to ensure that there are indeed no gaps or holes.
Then, simply let the glue dry and you’re almost ready to protect your pal from smog!
All that’s left is teaching your pup to wear their new mask!
Teaching your dog to wear the mask might be a little more difficult than making the mask, but with a few treats and a couple practice runs, you can train your dog to wear his new muzzle/smog mask.
If you need a few tips for teaching your pup to wear the mask, check out this video for training your dog to wear a muzzle!
Well, there you have it, with just a few things you can pick up from the store, you can make sure your favorite four-legged friend is protected from the smog!
Be sure to stop by our FB page to post a picture of your pal in their new mask!
About Unikorn, Inc.
Unikorn is an all-in-one marketplace for pet services that provides affordable and convenient solutions to your pet needs– directly to your home! Through our easy to use website and mobile app, you too can give unconditional love to your pet through our community of caregivers and pet-centric services. Order pet food & accessories from the best stores in town, request a vet for house calls, find the best place to care for your pet while you are away, discuss your day to day pet questions with the community, and more!
*NEW!* Unikorn recently launched Social Butterfly, a social networking platform to connect with other pet lovers. Share your favorite photos of your furry friends and follow other pet parents in our exclusive online pet community.
Download the Unikorn App now!