Dogs have pasts just like us. Sometimes these pasts cause them to be nervous in certain situations. They may be weary of certain people. They may need more time to open up and feel comfortable.
So what can we do? Be patient. Be kind. Be loving. With perseverance, that once-shy pup can be the adoring companion you’ve always wanted. Here are some quick tips to unleashing your pet’s personality:
- Identify which situations make your dog feel uncomfortable: Once you know what scares your dog, you’ll better know what to do to combat it. Does your dog get nervous around men? Slowly introduce him to affectionate, loving men who will show your dog love. Always stay with your dog to make him feel at ease in these nerve-wracking situations and tell him it’ll be okay. Start with quick 15-second interactions then increase the length each time. Once your dog learns to conquer his fears, he will become more comfortable in everyday situations.
- Find what comforts your dog: Does a certain toy make your dog feel more at ease? A special kind of treat? A blanket? Identify what makes your dog feel relaxed. Bring that item with you whenever possible. When you’re dog is feeling anxious, patiently calm your dog down and give him that comfort item. He will begin to associate those scary situations with comfort, in turn showing him that everything is going to be okay.
- Reward your dog when he acts brave: You want to reaffirm that brave behavior. Instead of rewarding your dog when he acts anxious or nervous, calm him down then give him a treat he settles down. This will show your dog that being calm is good behavior.
- Give your dog space: Sometimes nervous dogs just want to be left alone… and that’s okay. Give your dog his alone time when he indicates he wants it. Make sure he has a quiet, secluded space (like a crate or doghouse) to go to when he wants to be alone.
- Know when it’s the time to seek help: If after several weeks you don’t see progress, maybe it’s time to hire a professional to help. You can find expert trainers at myunikorn.in or on the Unikorn app who can help your dog finally come out of his shell!
About Unikorn, Inc.
Unikorn is an all-in-one marketplace for pet services that provides affordable and convenient solutions to your pet needs– directly to your home! Through our easy to use website and mobile app, you too can give unconditional love to your pet through our community of caregivers and pet-centric services. Order pet food & accessories from the best stores in town, request a vet for house calls, find the best place to care for your pet while you are away, discuss your day to day pet questions with the community, and more!
*NEW!* Unikorn recently launched Social Butterfly, a social networking platform to connect with other pet lovers. Share your favorite photos of your furry friends and follow other pet parents in our exclusive online pet community.
Download the Unikorn App now!