The new year can bring lots of excitement, especially for families who adopted a new pet over the holidays. Whether you welcomed an energetic puppy or a sweet senior into your home, these first few weeks are essential in establishing a relationship between you and your pet that will last a lifetime.
1. Make the new familiar. For any pet, moving into a new place can be scary. The foreign smells, sights and sounds can quickly become overwhelming for your new furry friend. That’s why it’s essential to give your pet a quiet place to relax. Set up a special spot where he can go to feel secluded and safe when he needs alone time. A crate with its door open in a corner of a dimly lit room is a great start. Add a bed, water source, and a toy from the previous home so the space has familiar smells to calm your pet.
2. Give your pet space. While it’s important to show your new pet love and affection, it’s just as necessary to give him space to explore for himself. When you bring your new family member into your home, give him time to explore his new surroundings. Give your pet some time each day where he can acclimate to his new home.
3. Establish house rules. Although you want to make your new furry friend feel comfortable in his new home, make sure you start training early. Be fair but firm, using a strong “No” when he performs an undesirable action and reward him with treats and pets for desirable actions. You can also use a professional trainer to help in this process (Check out our awesome Unikorn trainers coming soon at myunikorn.in). Setting and enforcing rules early on will help make your pet ownership experience easier and more fun.
4. Get your pet checked out. Take your pet to the vet within the first few days to check for any medical procedures or vaccinations he may need. Your vet will also be able to provide you with pet ownership tips, and you can ask any specific questions you may have about the health and well-being of you new friend. (You can order a Vet on Request appointment today at myunikorn.in).
5. Socialize your pet. Introducing your pup to other furry friends is not only fun for him; it’s necessary for his socialization. He should be able to play and interact with other animals in a friendly, non-aggressive way. The best way to ensure this behavior is to teach it to your pet as soon as possible. Take your dog to a dog park or have a puppy play date with your neighbor. However, always make sure you carefully supervise your pet to make sure everyone stays safe.
About Unikorn, Inc.
Unikorn is an all-in-one marketplace for pet services that provides affordable and convenient solutions to your pet needs– directly to your home! Through our easy to use website and mobile app, you too can give unconditional love to your pet through our community of caregivers and pet-centric services. Order pet food & accessories from the best stores in town, request a vet for house calls, find the best place to care for your pet while you are away, discuss your day to day pet questions with the community, and more!
*NEW!* Unikorn recently launched Social Butterfly, a social networking platform to connect with other pet lovers. Share your favorite photos of your furry friends and follow other pet parents in our exclusive online pet community.
Download the Unikorn App now!
Like the Unikorn page on Facebook | Sign up for Unikorn now!